We enjoyed a sparkling introduction to healthy eating Caribbean style at March’s Telford & Wrekin WIRE meeting from Simply Good Food TV Sabrina Zeif.
She shared with us some of her amazing background in Trinidad and Tobago (she calls it TNT) and about how travelling around the world has added influences to her passion of sharing the healthy benefits of cooking fresh and adding spice to your life and food!
During Sabrina’s presentation we were challenged to think about the way (as a nation) we embrace cooking shows as entertainment (and Sabrina is regularly invited to take part including cooking with the Hairy Bikers and Simply Good Food TV) but how many of us actually buy and cook from fresh?
Sabrina highlighted a recent quote from the NHS that states“ One in four British adults is obese, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation, prompting fears that the UK has become the “fat man of Europe”.
Sabrina went on to share some simple ideas, that with a little bit of organisation and planning ahead will have you suddenly cooking healthy delicious meals with little stress. Healthy starts with simple home cooked meals.
Sabrina’s Top Tips!
- Use recipes as guides, no stress be creative and substitute ingredients for ones you have or like.
- Spices and herbs allow you to be creative and adventurous with your cooking. Cooking with herbs and spices expands your palate without the calories and allows you to decrease the amount of fat, sugar and salt without compromising on flavour.
- Never throw away left over herbs ever again. Chop or blend coriander, parsley, spring onions, thyme etc add to melted butter or olive oil and freeze in ice trays. The cubes can be stored in a zip lock bag. For great flavour add a cube or two to your cooking.
- Make up a variety of sauces in bulk and freeze for no stress cooking.
- Let your oven be your friend. Pop in meats and veg, sprinkle some spices and dash of olive oil. Cover and viola dinner is ready while you unwind from hard day’s work.
- Experiment with making lots of different sauces. Make in bulk and freeze. The same meat and veggies taste completely different with a new sauce on it. Get the family involved.
- Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach you will splurge on all the wrong things.
- Chilli peppers have been shown to boost fat burning capacity. Add chopped chilli to eggs, meats, burgers, soups etc.
- Create a template list for Produce /Pantry / Frozen / Refrigerated /Canned /Toiletries.
- Keep the on refrigerator. Categorise items to minimise shopping time and avoid buying unnecessary items.
- Take 30 minutes to make a weekly meal plan. Make a list of the meals you like or can think of. Check ingredients required, check your pantry stocks. Do one shopping trip. No stress for rest of week as you have a plan.
- For busy families have a meal prep time e.g. Sunday evening where vegetables and meats are cut and ready for easy cooking during the week.
Find more of Sabrina’s tasty & delicious recipes on her website Sabrina Zeif.com.