HMRC Tax Guide for the self employed

Posted: 7th March 2016

HMRC’s new ‘Tax guide for the self-employed’ yet?  

Based on feedback from business customers, we’ve redesigned our online learning for the newly self-employed. The new guide is shorter and easier to use, and focuses on what small businesses need to know and do to get their tax right first time.

If you have a weblink to the original online learning ‘Starting your own business’ it will now take you to the new guide. If not, this link ‘Tax guide for the self-employed’ will take you there right now.

Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS) – application window opens on 1 January 2016

If your business buys or sells alcohol please read the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme guidance to decide if registration with HMRC is needed. Existing business, must be registered by 31 March 2016. New businesses starting after 31 March 2016 must register at least 45 calendar days after starting to trade.

*Payrolling Benefits in Kind – Register now*

**if your business is already or intending to tax employee Benefits in Kind via your payroll – register now on our new Payrolling service for 2016/17 onwards. It will remove the need for P11Ds from 2016/17.

*Self Employed National Insurance Contributions *

Remember Class 2 NICs are not included in Self-Assessment (SA) until April 2016 and will form part of your business’s 2015/16 SA tax return. For more information, click here

*The Chancellor’s Spending Review and Autumn Statement 2015 *

Catch up with the announcements, supporting documentation and information made in the Spending Review and Autumn Statement 2015