Content Strategy the Coca-Cola way!
Thanks To WiRE Member Eileen Brown
Coca-Cola has disclosed its content and creative strategy for the next phase of their journey which will take its key brands up to its goal in 2020.
The intention is to move from creative excellence to content excellence. Goals are to:
- Create ideas so contagious that they can not be controlled
- Through telling stories they will provoke conversations that they can earn a disproportionate share of popular culture
- Create a conversational model centred around brand stories to create ideas, provoke conversations that coca-cola can act and react upon
- Harness the distribution of creativity. Coca-cola has observed that user generated content outnumbers coca-cola generated content on its brands
- Respond to the on demand culture where consumers can turn their demands on 24 hours a day
- Leverage existing ideas and behaviours used in other companies using social media
- Develop a deeper emotional connection through storytelling
Moving from one way storytelling to dynamic storytelling is a challenge. Creating a unified band idea needs system wide capabilities amongst technology platforms. Storytelling needs to be at the heart of communities and cultures and should be captured across the brands
Brand stories should be captured and should demonstrate commitment to making the world a better place. Without this the brand won’t succeed.
The 5 guiding principles Coca-Cola mention are worth noting:
- Inspire participation amongst the very best
- Connect these creative minds
- Share the results of efforts
- Continue development
- Measure success
Chapter 2 of the Coca-Cola content creation story is here
Applying the 70:20:10 principals to content will ensure a good mix. 70% is bread and butter content, consuming less time and engaged broadly. 20% is medium risk content, which engages more deeply. 10% is high risk content which introduces brand new ideas for the next set of medium or low risk content idea.
By using conversation in an iterative way, the conversation can evolve and have longevity. using great measurement tools can ensure that the increased investment in social activities. However, bringing the consumer conversation into the mix can make sure that each activity is exactly what the consumer wants. and can evolve to match changing needs.
Iteration not replication of the content will ensure the correct evolution of content and bring the company towards its 2020 ambition.
If Coca-cola can do this successfully – then their ideas could also be adapted for use in your own business.
It’s certainly worth a try